What to Expect
When you have your leather jacket cleaned for the first time there are some thing that you should expect. Our company has cleaned leather goods for more than 30 years. Here are a few things that we find is common.
- There is likely to be slight shrinkage of the leather or suede jacket. This is common. Leather is a natural product and is capable of stretching and shrinking. Just like a great pair of jeans, a little wear and it will go back to normal. We use pressing and blocking equipment to minimize this and in most cases a customer will never know.
- Suede garments are likely to lighten or darken in cleaning. In most cases, this is slight. We oil suede after cleaning as part of the refinishing process. This will return the color to normal or restore dullness.
- Protein stains (a substance from a body, blood, vomit, urine) will not always come out of leather and in some cases can harden the leather. Please advise us if you have a protein stain on a leather jacket. We are good at detective work, but some stains come into us invisible. We can clean these items, but it requires extra attention and doesn't always work.
- When cleaning accessory items, like boots, shoes and handbags a customer should expect some distortion in the shape. Since we use a full immersion method of cleaning there can be some dimension changes. UGG boots may feel snug at first wear after cleaning, but they will stretch out.
- Some items are to dirty to clean safely. If a leather jacket collar is saturated with years of neck sweat and oil, then it is possible that the collar could come apart during cleaning(the soiling was holding it together). We can make new collars, but if this is something you are having your jacket cleaned for-then please use our text service for an evaluation.
- Refinishing - Repainting leather jackets. This is part of the leather cleaning service. There are limitations to what we can refinish. For example two-tone leather is very hard to replicate the finish. We can do some amazing things, but if you have questions about this, please send us a pic.
These are some common questions and some information from our years of experience cleaning leather jackets. We clean approximately 40k leather jackets a year. We have experienced just about everything.